July 16, 2022

Tony Sirico, Paulie Walnuts in “The Sopranos”, dies at 79

  Actor Tony Sirico, best known for playing Paulie Walnuts in “The Sopranos”, died at the age of 79 old.

This was confirmed by his family on Friday in an official statement (via Deadline) which states the following: “It is with great sadness, but with so much pride, love and fond memories, that the family of Gennaro Anthony ‘Tony’ Sirico inform you of his disappearance on the morning of 8 July 2022”.. The cause of death was not disclosed, but Sirico’s health had deteriorated in recent years.. The actor died in a retirement home in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Sirico is a familiar face on the screen thanks to the role of Peter Paul Gualtieri, affectionately known as Paulie Walnuts, in “The Sopranos”. Paulie is one of Tony Soprano’s (James Gandolfini) loyal henchmen and appears in all six seasons of the series. Sirico would return for the 2021 prequel ‘Holy criminals’, but his health conditions prevented him from doing so. In addition to “The Sopranos”, his filmography includes titles such as Martin Scorsese’s “One of Us”, “Cop Land” or “Mickey Blue Eyes”, as well as He was a regular visitor to Woody Allen’s films (‘Taking Harry Apart’, ‘Bullets Over Broadway’, ‘Mighty Aphrodite’, Café Society, etc.). In the 1970s he also appeared in series such as “Kojak” or “Miami Vice”. In recent years he has lent his voice to the animated comedies “Family Guy” and “Father Made in the USA”. Before being an actor, Sirico was a real mobsterwhere he served under Carmine ‘Junior’ Persico, and he had been arrested up to 28 times, spending several periods in prison for his criminal activities (assaulting a Brooklyn nightclub, possession of weapons, drugs). It was in prison that he became interested in acting thanks to an acting group made up of former inmates. During her stint on “The Sopranos”, she shared two SAG Awards for best ensemble and received seven nominations. Farewell to “The Sopranos” After the news of Sirico’s death, the cast of “The Sopranos” wanted to express their condolences through Deadline. According to Michael Imperioli, who plays Christopher Moltisanti in the acclaimed HBO series, “There was no one like Tony: he was tougher, more loyal, and had a bigger heart than anyone I’ve ever met. I spent a lot of time by her side: in good times and bad times. But above all good. And we laughed a lot. We have found a rhythm like Christopher and Paulie and I am proud to say that I have done my best and most fun job with my dear partner Tony. I will always miss him. It was irreplaceable “. 

  The creator of “The Sopranos”, David Chase, calls Sirico “a gem, in the Buddhist sense: supernatural and teacher. But certainly not a Zen master”and adds: “He was so outrageous, funny and so talented. I’m so glad he found out in his 50s or 60s just how talented and loved he was.”. On the other hand, Steven Van Zandt, who plays Paulie’s best friend Silvio Dante in the popular gangster drama, describes the actor as “legendary” Y “a great character both on and off the screen”. 

Lorraine Bracco, psychiatrist Jennifer Melfi on “The Sopranos”, who also worked with him on “One of Us”, says: “I loved him. A legal uncle who always had my back and loved my children and my parents very much. I have a lifetime of memories with Tony. I hope he’s in heaven making everyone laugh. I love you friend”. Jamie Lynn Sigler, who played Meadow Soprano, the daughter of the protagonist, remembers the day she met him: “I met him when I was 16 and He made it clear to me from day one that he would be my protector forever, and he did.. I will remember him for his enormous talent and his energy impossible to ignore. “ Finally, Steve Schirripa (Bobby Baccalieri in the series), calls Sirico “unique in the best possible way. A loyal friend with a knack for making people fight. We will miss him very much.”.

-FashionVibes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home