December 4, 2015

Literary Pick (**)

Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef 
-Gabrielle Hamilton

















I almost wish I hadn't read this book, because up until I did, I idealized and admired Gabrielle Hamilton. However, after finishing her book I came to the realization that she's an extremely selfish and soulless person. At least that's how she comes off in her own story-telling. I worked for someone like this once, and I struggled with it a lot, struggled with not quitting, and using the wise advise of my chef from culinary school who taught me to "kill them with kindness". Well, that didn't work. Some people are just so self-involved and in their own bubble, that no one else is on their radar. 
I was bemused by her imagery of NJ and Delaware. I believe that's the point where she blew her own cover, and might I mention that was at the very beginning of her book. I lived in NJ for 4 painful years and nothing about it is romantic or dreamy. Believe me. . Also, the way she treated and spoke about her husband was just shameful. Her kids will someday read all she wrote. I won't even get into her simplifying the food industry the way she has in her book. Like anyone can just be in it by accident, or by chance. I often wonder how she truly became notable. I've seen and read about her work (food) and it's nothing to write home about, and it's not to say it isn't good, but why is she a James Beard Award nominee? This is honestly not hater-ism. My questions are truly coming from a place of wonder. This is not to say that I wouldn't want to work for her, to try to understand her more. I'd love nothing more than to attempt to change the point of view I have towards her at the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home