November 14, 2013

Literary Pick (***)

The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts
-Louis De Bernieres






















Reading this story was like reading one of those odd kafkaesque dreams you sometimes have. I always seem to get so much enjoyment out of magical realism, a genre I never thought I could ever even begin to patronize, or take seriously. But it never disappoints..The only reason I'm giving it only 3 stars is because there was a lot of political party, army, general, soldiers, and stuff like that, which always loses me, but I loved it when I would read about Aurelio, his wife and daughter. I also had a hard time keeping up with the characters, no fault to the book, I was distracted at the time, having to study for tests, etc. But the book was brilliantly written, and I would definitely read the other two that follow in this series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home