November 14, 2012

Literary Pick (***)

Borrowed Time: An AIDS Memoir 
-Paul Monette

















When I first began reading this book, I though "oh God, is this memoir going to be this depressing the whole way through?" It was.. but it got increasingly better. I initially felt it was overly cerebral for an AIDS memoir (that sounds terrible..) and a tad over-dramatic, but it comes together gracefully, powerfully, and lovingly.
I felt there was a certain level of self-martyrdom in Paul's account of Roger's illness, but became convinced it was a memoir written purely for the honor of Roger's memory when Monette ended the novel without addressing his own issues with the virus.


I'd only recommend this to certain people. Ones who are compassionate and patient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home