July 13, 2012

Literary Pick (****)

Their Eyes Were Watching God
-Zora Neale Hurston





















Great story. Much better than I expected. I have a history of not being able to particularly appreciate novels written in the vernacular, however, Hurston did a remarkable job in executing it in manner in which I was not only able to follow it, but truly enjoy it as well.

Try as I might, I've had quite the difficulty in trying to discover a piece of African American literature I could  enjoy. None of the AA novels I have read in the past couple years have left much of an impression on me, but this one sure did.  I'm happy about that too, because one of the reasons I chose to read this book in the first place is because of a quote I found by Hurston, and use in my blog profile.

"I have known the joy and pain of friendship. I have served and been served. I have made some good enemies for which I am not a bit sorry. I have loved unselfishly, and I have fondled hatred with the red-hot tongs of Hell. That's living."
-Zora Neale Hurston

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home