March 9, 2010

Literary Pick (***)

The Bell Jar  
-Sylvia Plath



Plath possesses a quality that obviously ranks high up with the best in her category.
I can certainly see how The Bell Jar has secured her a place of esteem in the literary world. And although I enjoyed reading it, I can't say I was able to successfully follow or (feel) the process of her decent into insanity. I would have liked to know what was her problem, or at least what she thought her problem was. I understand the novel was a semi-autobiographical piece. Admittedly, that's one of the reasons I enjoyed it as much as I did. Naturally, I was more fascinated by the tragedy of her real life story than I was about her heroine character, Esther Greenwood.

Many similarities with Catcher in the Rye. It also reminded me of the film "Girl Interrupted".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home