May 14, 2009

Literary Pick (***)

When I was Puerto Rican, A Memior
 (Esmeralda Santiago)




















Great book if you've lived in Puerto Rico as a young kid, or if you have Puerto Rican/NewYorican family and are interested in exploring your roots. It's a coming-of-age story about a 13 year old girls memories of Puerto Rican childhood . It does not go in depth about Puerto Rican cultures and customs, which I would have liked more of. I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone. You have to be able to relate to the book to truly understand and enjoy it. I personally loved it because it took me back to my own childhood in PR. I grew up in Ciales and it reminded me of so many wonderful things about living on the island. I was born in NY, so I'm really a Nuyorican.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

this sounds sooo good. thanks for sharing!

May 14, 2009 at 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home